After pickup from your hotel in the morning, you’re driven to a local spice farm for a detailed introduction to the culinary history of Zanzibar, aka Spice Island. Travel into the countryside for about 30 minutes from historical Stone Town and observe rural village life in Zanzibar.
On arrival, learn about the life cycle and uses of various types of spices, tropical fruits, and root crops while your guide comments on each discovery. You’ll have the opportunity to touch, smell, and taste several spices and fruits during a walking tour of the farm.
- Choice of morning or afternoon departure
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
The history of Zanzibar would be incomplete without the cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon, pepper and many other spices which essential ingredient in a Zanzibari’s everyday life are, it is the island’s connection to spices and herbs. Zanzibar and Spice is a romantic entanglement that dates back to the 16th century. Apart from being an important commodity on the trade routes. They can be seen in the plantations just outside Zanzibar town, this is also a fantastic opportunity to see the countryside and rural areas of Zanzibar and also connect with local people.
This guided walking tour passes through villages and spice plantations, a walk through the farms as spice farms workers climbs trees, seek out specific plants and cuts off various barks, letting you see, feel and taste everything.
You will be decorated with palm-leaf accessories such as ties, rings, bracelets and glasses. At the Spice farms you will have an opportunity to taste some of the exotic fruits of Zanzibar.
At the Spice farms is the best place to buy fresh spices directly from the source.
Your hotel in Zanzibar
8:30am or 1:30pm
Hotel pickups commence approximately 30 – 60 minutes prior to this time, exact pickup time will be advised on reconfirmation.
Times are subject to change due to local traffic conditions.
3 hours (approx.)
The original departure points
- Professional guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Food and drinks
- Gratuities (optional)
- Souvenir photos (available to purchase)
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Dress code is formal (Please dress conservatively. Women should cover their shoulders and wear long skirts or trousers)
- May be operated by a multi-lingual guide
- A moderate amount of walking is involved
- Good walking shoes would be ideal